Friday, January 27, 2012

Deadline

So for some reason I thought the deadline for sketchbook project was in June. I have no idea why. I got my book real early, and started to work on it right away, then other stuff came up and I buried it under a plie of stuff and forgot all about it till 3 days ago when that e-mail saying "8 more days till deadline" came in.

So I opened it again to see what I have. First of all, I thought I was about half way done, but it was more like a 1/4 of a book done. Second I didn't like the concept I started with which was 2 pages dedicated to a personal disaster and 2 pages dedicated to a national or international disaster. It felt simplistic and sort of whiny to me now.

Then, there was also the problem of the paper. I know from the start that the paper in the book was really really shitty, and hoped to be able to get away with it with a combination of very little water color or other wet media and collage. However, looking at what I had so far, I really hated the way both collage and wet media looked at the crappy paper.






So, I tore out all the pages and decided to start over.

4 comments:

  1. Yikes! That's a lot of work down the drain!

    I HATE the paper too, and I wish I'd torn it out right away, but I don't have time to start over.

    I wanted to do a kids' book or two. You must be really good and FAST if you think you can finish a book in that short a time--of course, there's no rule how many pages--you could make ONE page that folded out (or not).

    Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of like what you already did, but I know what you mean about the crappy paper.

    NEXT TIME I am tearing it all out IMMEDIATELY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sucks! would it really cost that much more to put normal paper in? I don't even mean like cold press high quality watercolor, but what they have now is thinner then even photocopy paper... Next time I'm re-binding it first thing even before I decide what I want to do with it...

    ReplyDelete